No Love Lost?

This is for my students who are learning to analyse and write film reviews.

I came across an article in The Times of India online edition about box office collection of two films released on Independence Day - 'Satyamev Jayate and 'Gold'. I have copied a paragraph here for reference:

John Abraham's film clashed at the box office with Akshay Kumar's 'Gold' but there is no love lost here. Speaking about the clash in a previous interview, John told PTI, "Akshay is an actor in 'Gold', and I am an actor in 'Satyamev Jayate'. It's a producer's decision on both sides. So I have no say in that at all. As far as competing with Akshay is concerned, I want to make it clear that he is my senior in the industry."




Pay attention to 'but there is no love lost here'. I was surprised by the use of the idiom, because I haven't come across any article that show any animosity between John Abraham and Akshay Kumar, and nor do his words reflect anything but respect towards Akshay.

'No love lost' means dislike or hatred. The idiom has been wrongly used.

Here's a link to the original article (as on 18th August, 2018):

John Abraham's film clashed at the box office with Akshay Ku .. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Pandit and the Boatman - Theory and practical knowledge

Karlo Duniya Mutthi Mein - Part 3

The Language of Films 1 - Low Angle Shot